Re: Periodicals shelving questions (repeat) Deborah Harrell 30 Aug 1996 20:25 UTC

This is probably of no value at this late date, but I was going back thru
my remaining mail and found the reply from Dana about the shelf dummies.
My question is
Just how large is your periodicals holdings, (by title and number of years)?

Ingram Library currently has approximately 4000 periodical records.  Only
1550 are currently being received.  If we had to put a dummy on the shelf
for every one of the title changes we have, there would be little room
for journal issues.  (Yes, we shelve by title).  If patrons cannot find
an issue of something on the shelf, and they really do want the material,
they will certainly be smart enough* to go to one of our 30+ computers and
determine if we have the material.

(*Perhaps they aren't computer literate, but they do find help at either
the circulation desk or the reference desk.)

Debbie Harrell
Ingram Library, State University of West Georgia
phone: 770-836-6498
fax: 770-836-6626