From E.Garfield - Citation Abuse (fwd) Marcia Tuttle 14 Aug 1996 15:42 UTC

ATTENTION: Please respond to Dr. Garfield at
garfield@aurora.cis.upenn.edu, and not to serialst. Thank you. -ed.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 11:34:30 -0400
From: E. Garfield <garfield@AURORA.CIS.UPENN.EDU>
Subject: From E.Garfield - Citation Abuse

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RESPOND TO: garfield@aurora.cis.upenn.edu

July 18, 1996

Re: Citation Abuse

Dear Colleagues:

I have been asked to prepare a review of the research literature
and of any previously unpublished information that could form the
basis of a discussion of actual and potential abuses of citation
data or analysis.

As many of my colleagues will recall, the possible misapplication
of citation data was forecast.  There has been a significant
increase in the use of citation analysis for legitimate
purposes by responsible investigators.  However, there are also
misuses by those who are either not qualified to interpret raw
citation data or by those with questionable objectives.

If you are able to cite or describe any examples of the various
kinds of misuses, I shall attempt to synthesize responses for the
review.  If your examples are of a confidential nature, then simply
omit names and places.  Of course, do cite published examples.

I hope to present the results of this study at the forthcoming
International Conference on Peer Review in Prague in 1997.

Best wishes,
Eugene Garfield
Eugene Garfield, Ph.D.
Chairman Emeritus,ISI,3501 Market St, Philadelphia, PA 19104
Publisher, THE SCIENTIST, 3600 Market St,Philadelphia,PA 19104
Tel: (215)243-2205 // Fax: (215)387-1266
E-mail: garfield@aurora.cis.upenn.edu
Home Page:http://165.123.33.33/eugene_garfield
http://www.the-scientist.library.upenn.edu/eugene_garfield