Closing the shelflist Albert Henderson 10 Sep 1996 18:02 UTC

Louise Diodato <ldiodato@ACS.STRITCH.EDU> wrote:

> Since you are a publisher and not working in a library with this
> question, I find your answer sarcastic and uninformative.

For the record I worked in the supply side of serials 1964-1977 mentored by
Walter J. Johnson, Otto Rapp, and Dr. Edward Grey, and I came to appreciate
the copious record keeping represented by shelflists on paper.

The problems of instability and inadequacy associated with converting to
the digital medium are not limited to serials management. We have all heard
horror stories. A local fire department threw out its card records, for
instance, after loading "driving route" directions onto a PC; lightening
struck, of course, and they had to deal with a terrible uncertainty.

Sorry if you took my expression as sarcasm. I hoped to save valuable work
from the fire.

Albert Henderson, Editor, PUBLISHING RESEARCH QUARTERLY
70244.1532@compuserve.com