Closing the shelflist (2 messages) Birdie MacLennan 11 Sep 1996 02:57 UTC

2 messages, 90 lines:

(1)-------------------------
Date:         Tue, 10 Sep 1996 09:31:30 -0800
From:         Rose Welton <rosew@MUSKOX.ALASKA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Closing shelflist

I never mentioned being in a hurry in my original message. I simply
wanted to plan this undertaking in the most logical and efficient manner.
I'd rather not go back and have to fix things later. Thank you to all
who took the time to respond in a helpful, unsarcastic manner.

RW

Rose Welton                     Phone:  907-465-2940
Alaska State Library            Fax:    907-465-2990
Juneau, Alaska                  E-Mail: rosew@muskox.alaska.edu

(2)-----------------------
Date:         Tue, 10 Sep 1996 14:36:48 -0700
From:         Melissa Hartley <hartleym@CCMAIL.ORST.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Closing the shelflist
Comments: To: Multiple recipients of list SERIALST <SERIALST@UVMVM.UVM.EDU>,
          Albert Henderson <70244.1532@COMPUSERVE.COM>

I catalog serials in an academic library.  We have not converted our serial
records completely to our online catalog and serials check in module.

However, even when this is eventually accomplished, I think it would be a
very good idea to keep a paper shelf list as well.  In the age of
tapeloads, the existence of a shelf list card proves that a cataloger saw
the publication and the library probably does indeed have the publication.
In the eventuality that staff or computer deletes or mistakenly edits an
online record, one has a shelf list to document what SHOULD be in the
online catalog.  Shelf list cards are also a very handy way to view the
often complex relationships between serial records. The shelf list at our
institution is a necessary and valuable tool.  It is also inexpensive. Long
live the shelf list!

This discussion somehow also got onto the subject of Kardex files.  Our
Serials Acquisitions Div. has retained the Kardex files, and frequently
refers to them, I am told.

     Melissa Hartley
     Catalog Division, Valley Library
     Oregon State University
Subject: Closing the shelflist
Author:  Albert Henderson <70244.1532@COMPUSERVE.COM> at Internet_Gateway
Date:    9/10/96 01:02 PM

Louise Diodato <ldiodato@ACS.STRITCH.EDU> wrote:

> Since you are a publisher and not working in a library with this
> question, I find your answer sarcastic and uninformative.

For the record I worked in the supply side of serials 1964-1977 mentored by
Walter J. Johnson, Otto Rapp, and Dr. Edward Grey, and I came to appreciate
the copious record keeping represented by shelflists on paper.

The problems of instability and inadequacy associated with converting to
the digital medium are not limited to serials management. We have all heard
horror stories. A local fire department threw out its card records, for
instance, after loading "driving route" directions onto a PC; lightening
struck, of course, and they had to deal with a terrible uncertainty.

Sorry if you took my expression as sarcasm. I hoped to save valuable work
from the fire.