Re: Claimed issues & vendor performance (2 messages) Birdie MacLennan 12 Sep 1996 18:00 UTC

2 messages, 58 lines:

(1)-----------------------
Date:         Thu, 12 Sep 1996 07:53:59 -0700
From:         Acquisitions <acq@SPL.LIB.WA.US>
Subject:      Re: Claimed issues & vendor performance

On Thu, 12 Sep 1996, Margaret Jasinksi wrote:
> We are a large public library and have about 900 subscriptions which are
> handled through a periodicals agent.  Each week I run a quick scan to see
> how many of those issues are currently "claimed but still not received".
> The number of such issues has been averaging about 125 at any one time.
>
> Based on other's experience, does this rate seem high/low/or about right
> for this number of subscriptions?  Some of our public services staff seem
> to think that our agent should be doing a little better for us; but when
> I look at a *very* rough estimate of (900 titles x 12/yr)= 10800
> pieces,
> then 125 out of 10800 seems like a pretty small percentage.  Any
> thoughts?  Is my logic flawed?  Thanks!

Actually, that sounds adequate to me. I think our agent has a little
better percentage, and I know they doggedly pursue claims for us. A lot
of publishers just have really slow response time.

Bill Kennedy
serials, Seattle Public Library
acq@spl.lib.wa.us

(2)-----------------------
Date:         Thu, 12 Sep 1996 08:13:00 -0700
From:         David_Fisher@UCSDLIBRARY.UCSD.EDU
Comments: To: mjasinsk@NSLSILUS.ORG, SERIALST@UVMVM.UVM.EDU

     This is a good question. Why don't you ask your vendor what
     their own figures show for similar sized accounts for public
     libraries? I'm sure some libraries are more aggressive with
     claiming than others but you could probably establish where
     you are in relation to the mean. Your reasoning assumes all
     your subscriptions are monthlies.  A comparison with my
     library would be comparing apples and oranges but I can
     commiserate with you.  Claiming is one of my biggest
     bugaboos.

     I hope you'll post your findings to the list.  Good luck!

          David (Dave) Fisher
          Head,Acquisitions
          SIO Library
          Scripps Institution of Oceanography