Unicode information (3 messages) Birdie MacLennan 18 Sep 1996 02:56 UTC

3 messages, 106 lines:

(1)------------------------
Date:         Tue, 17 Sep 1996 12:53:39 PDT
From:         Joan Aliprand <BR.JMA@RLG.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Unicode information wanted

"The Unicode Standard, Version 2.0" has just been published (ISBN
0-201-48345-9).  This is the authoritative source of information on the
Unicode (tm) Standard.  The book (with CD-ROM) may be ordered from the
Unicode Consortium (unicode-inc@unicode.org) or from your local
Addison-Wesley dealer.

As for recommendations on articles, that depends on whether the requester
is looking for a technical or non-technical approach.

For a librarian-oriented introduction, there is my paper:
  "Unicode and ISO/IEC 10646: an Overview", published in "Automated Systems
  for Access to Multilingual and Multiscript Library Materials:
  Proceedings of the Second IFLA Satellite Meeting, Madrid, August 18-19,
  1993" (Munchen: Saur, 1994).
This article describes the relationship between the Unicode Standard and
ISO/IEC 10646, and discusses the Unicode Standard's design principles.

The Unicode Consortium maintains an open list for discussion of technical
issues.  To be added, send your e-mail address to
"unicode-request@unicode.org".

The Unicode Consortium's Web site is at:  http://www.unicode.org

-- Joan Aliprand
   One of the co-authors of "The Unicode Standard"

*** "Unicode" is a trademark of Unicode, Inc., and may be registered in
    some jurisdictions. ***

(2)---------------------------
Date:         Tue, 17 Sep 1996 17:13:35 -0400
From:         "Wanda L. McClure" <wandam@POP.UKY.EDU>
Comments: To: kathleen@sjsuvm1.sjsu.edu,

The message below was posted to TESLA in July.   You might want to check out
the the Unicode Consortium's Web Site,
http://unicode.org    Good luck.  --wanda

Date:         Fri, 12 Jul 1996 16:12:16 PDT
Sender:       Technical Standards for Library Automation
              <TESLA@NERVM.NERDC.UFL.EDU>
From:         Joan Aliprand <BR.JMA@RLG.ORG>
Subject:      Ninth International Unicode Conference, Sept. 4-6, San Jose, CA
To:           Multiple recipients of list TESLA <TESLA@NERVM.NERDC.UFL.EDU>

Dear colleagues:

The Ninth International Unicode Conference and Global Computing Showcase is
scheduled for September 4-6, 1996 in San Jose, California.

The Conference has the theme "Software Development + the Internet: Going
Global with Unicode" and brings together industry-wide experts on the
global Internet and Unicode, internationalization and localization,
implementation of Unicode in operating systems and applications, fonts,
text layout, and multilingual computing.

Pre-conference tutorials and workshops (including a session on Version 2.0
of the Unicode Standard) will be held on September 4.  The Conference
takes place on September 5-6.

Complete information is posted at the Unicode Consortium's Web Site,
http://unicode.org -- click on "Agenda for IUC #9" -- or may be requested
by e-mail to conference@unicode.org.

-- Joan Aliprand
   Senior Analyst, The Research Libraries Group

---------
Since this message is being cross-posted to a number of lists, you may
receive more than one copy.

*** Unicode is a trademark of Unicode, Inc. ***

(3)----------------------
Date:         Tue, 17 Sep 1996 13:59:38 -0400
From:         Betty Landesman <betty@GWIS2.CIRC.GWU.EDU>
Comments: To: Kathleen Thorne <kathleen@sjsuvm1.sjsu.edu>

On Tue, 17 Sep 1996, Kathleen Thorne wrote:
> Help! Does anyone know of a good recent article on UNICODE or on ISO
> 10646?  I've a rush request for this from a librarian in Eastern
> Europe. I'll check all the usual databases, but if any of you are
> faster (or more up to date) than I (I'm still hobbling about on
> crutches after foot surgery), I'd appreciate the information. ...

The UNICODE home page is at the following URL:

http://www.stonehand.com/unicode.html

They have a glossary, information about the standard, etc.

Betty Landesman                         E-mail: betty@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu
Systems Training Librarian              Phone:  202-994-1333
Gelman Library                          Fax:    202-463-6205
George Washington University
2130 H Street NW
Washington, DC   20052