migration from sirsi's unicorn (Rachel Hollis) Marcia Tuttle 08 Oct 1996 12:03 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 1996 14:22:26 PDT
From: 5704P@VM1.CC.NPS.NAVY.MIL
Subject: migration from sirsi's unicorn

i've received eight messages asking why we're considering migration
from sirsi.  we're not and have no plans to at this point.  our library
migrated from mainframe notis to sirsi at the beginning of 1996.  we
realized that future migrations are inevitable and, because this migration
to sirsi was rather rocky, would like to be better equipped for the next
one.  so we're trying to develop processes to make future migrations as
smooth as possible.

sirsi is a fine system if your library is well equipped with the hardware to
support it.  we (my boss and i) feel it is better in the area of public
services than in technical services.  we also feel that it's reports
function leaves something to be desired as far as using it in a way that
would be most beneficial.  we need a.p.i. training to really use the
reports the way we'd like to.  the original query sprouted from
frustrations that we have been feeling with the reports aspect of the
system lately.

some information i've received (all private emails) has been conflicting.
one library said they'd been told by sirsi that no one had ever migrated
away from them.  so far i know of one library that is planning to migrate
from sirsi to something else in the near future.  the library is expecting to
migrate early 1997.

cheers,

Rachel Hollis, Serials Librarian   _/    _/   _/_/_/    _/_/_/
Naval Postgraduate School         _/_/  _/   _/   _/  _/_/
Monterey California              _/  _/_/   _/_/_/       _/
5704p@vm1.cc.nps.navy.mil       _/    _/   _/       _/_/_/

http://vislab-www.nps.navy.mil/%7elibrary