Cataloging individual issues of a serial (Patricia Thompson) Marcia Tuttle 09 Oct 1996 14:22 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 09:00:58 -0600
From: Patricia Thompson <pthompso@SERAPH1.SEWANEE.EDU>
Subject: Cataloging individual issues of a serial

AACR2 Rule 13.3A authorizes an individual bibliographic record for a part
of a monographic series or multipart monograph that has a distinctive
title.  I think that in many cases the line between a "series" and a
"serial" is very fuzzy, and if the issues have a distinctive title, it is
legitimate to catalog that single issue as a monograph if that fits your
library's needs.  We have done this frequently in cases where we want
specific title, author and subject access for an issue, either because it's
the only issue we have, or because we have additional copies of specific
issues of a run.  We do input these records into OCLC.  In fact, OCLC
contains quite a few of this type of record.    I add a 5xx note such as
"Published as vol.36, no.2 of Whatever."  and a 730 for the serial title
that it is a part of.

If anyone has more specific information on why this would not be correct
practice, please let me know.

Pat Thompson

Patricia R. Thompson
Technical Services Librarian-