Call for Speakers (Karen Davis) Tuttle, Marcia 14 Oct 1996 07:12 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 11:09:57 EST
From: Karen Davis <KJDAVIS@HAWK.SYR.EDU>
Subject: Call for Speakers

This is a call for speakers for ALA Midwinter in
Washington, D.C. for the ALCTS CCS Copy Cataloging
Discussion Group.  Please excuse any duplication due to the
cross-posting.
Karen

DISCUSSION GROUP TOPIC

Acceptable Copy:  Quality in Record Selection and
Outsourcing

     A discussion of quality issues in copy cataloging was
suggested as the topic for ALA Midwinter in Washington at
the ALCTS CCS Copy Cataloging Discussion Group by Kate
Seago, Head, Catalog Quality, University of Kentucky
Libraries.

     Topic areas to cover might be:
     What are the standards for acceptable cataloging copy
regarding in-house selection of non-LC cataloging copy
and/or outsourced cataloging?

     Libraries have been moving away from accepting only LC
copy. We would like to know how far, why, and what the
implications are for libraries.  For outsourced cataloging,
what are the quality issues?  Who completes the contracts
and is record selection a contract issue?

     Concerns include:  standards and criteria for
selection, staffing--less experienced staff (e.g.
acquisitions staff) have become involved and what are the
training issues, error rates--are they higher than for LC
copy, mistakes--how are they reported, the role of automated
systems.

     We are looking for speakers from a variety of areas;
from both traditional and non-traditional settings:
practitioners, administrators, or vendors.  Please contact
me at the phone number or email address below if you would
like to volunteer to speak.

ELECTION

     Virginia Drake from Johns Hopkins has resigned from her
position as Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect of the Copy Cataloging
Discussion Group.  I am seeking nominees and/or volunteers
for this position.  We will hold an election, if necessary
in Washington.  The person elected should be able to make a
commitment to attend ALA Conferences for the next two years.
Please contact me at the phone number or email address
below if you would like to nominate someone or volunteer.

Karen Davis
Chair, Copy Cataloging Discussion Group
Catalog Librarian
Monographs Unit