Pre-70s American Library Directory Sought (Hilary Caws-Elwitt) Ann Ercelawn 04 Nov 1996 14:31 UTC

Date: Mon, 04 Nov 1996 07:01:47 -0500
From: "H (&J) Caws-Elwitt" <hce@EPIX.NET>
Subject: Pre-70s American Libraries Directory sought
Comments: To: acrl@uicvm.uic.edu, ill-l@uvmvm.uvm.edu,
 libref-l@kentvm.kent.edu, backserv@sun.readmore.com, serialst@uvmvm.uvm.edu,
 alf-l@vm1.yorku.ca

Please reply to Hilary Caws-Elwitt (hce@epix.net), not to SERIALST-- ed.
_____

Please excuse my cross-posting, and sorry if this is way off-topic--I'm
really not sure which lists would be appropriate.

I am a virtual student at the U of Arizona (work in a Pennsylvania public
library)  and a research assistant to a professor who is working on a
history of the public library in the US. I am gathering locations and
founding dates of PLs using Bowker's American Library Directory. (I've gone
through the 45th edition.) I believe that a much earlier edition would help
gather independent PLs which became branches in larger systems (ALD does
not list founding dates for branches.)

IF your institution keeps older editions of ALD, might you be willing to
lend one or two out for about a month? (I tried ILL through our district
center with no luck). If so please contact me via email (hce@epix.net). I'd
be happy to pay postage both ways.

Thank you very much for your time.

Hilary Caws-Elwitt