Re: Full Text Ejournals and Printing Costs (Mike Beier) Ann Ercelawn 05 Nov 1996 14:07 UTC

Date: Mon, 04 Nov 1996 17:16:08 -0700
From: "Mike A. Beier" <MAB@MAIL.LIB.BYU.EDU>
Subject: Re: Full Text Ejournals and Printing Costs (JoAnne Griffin)

> Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 14:58:12 -0400
> From: JoAnne Griffin <jgriffin@OPAL.TUFTS.EDU>
> Subject: FULL TEXT EJOURNALS AND PRINTING COSTS
>
> Hello, everybody!
>
> We are moving along with full text ejournals here at Tufts and I have a
> question I hope you can help us with. How do you folks handle the costs
> involved with patrons printing articles from these journals? Do you pass
> them along? How do you determine what is a fair price? We have done
> some research in trying to estimate what the avge # of articles/pages
> per journal is -- has anyone done it differently? How has printing from
> ejournals impacted your library?
>
> Thanks for any insight you can give us.
> jgriffin@opal.tufts.edu
> ****************************

At Brigham Young University the computer applications people have set
up our LAN computer system so that all full-text databases have the
printing feature disabled.  Citation databases still allow patrons to
print-screen, but any full-text source will not print this way.
However, all full-text articles can be downloaded to disk, so that all
the information is still available to the patrons.  They may then take
the disk to their home computer and print up as much as they want.  Or
they can take the disk to the library word processing center and print
up the material for the normal set fee-per-page.

Mike Beier     Periodicals Librarian.

Mike Beier, Periodicals Librarian
3087 HBLL
Brigham Young University