Re: Vandalized Periodicals (3 messages) Ann Ercelawn 05 Nov 1996 20:10 UTC

3 messages:
____

Date: Tue, 05 Nov 1996 11:16:14 -0800
From: "C.D. Thompson" <cathompson@UPS.EDU>
Subject: Re: Vandalized Periodicals (Paula Pinter)

Hello,

For most periodicals that are vandalized or damaged, we mark them
"Officially Noted - Damaged/Pages Missing" and continue to use. This would
include journals that we discard after a certain period or journals where we
receive micro as well as paper.

If it is a title we want to bind complete, we will replace the entire issue
with an undamaged one  - which we purchase.

Carmel Thompson
University of Puget Sound
Collins Memorial Library
Tacoma, WA

_____

Date: Tue, 05 Nov 1996 14:03:25 -0500
From: Annalisa Van Avery <AV691@CNSVAX.ALBANY.EDU>

        This is in answer to Paula Pinter's question:

Paula,
        At SUNY Albany we try, to the best of our ability, to restore
the vandalized periodicals to their original content.  We order a copy
of the article or pages from Interlibrary loan, photocopy it, and bind
it in, or, if it is already bound, tip it in with glue.  The best time
to make such repairs is just before you bind the volume.  If you provide
the binder with the photocopied pages, bindery staff will take care of
trimming the pages to the right size and taking apart the issue to insert
the replacement pages.  They will be bound in firmly.  If you find an
already bound volume has been vandalized, tipping in works if it is only
a few pages, but not if there are more than just a few.  Then you may
have to rebind the whole volume, and you will have to evaluate whether
it is worth it, or whether there will be more damage than benefit in the
process of rebinding.

        It has never occurred to me to put an article in a pocket at
the back of the issue.  I guess it would be faster and cheaper than
rebinding, but the insert would be easy to lose.  Would you write some
kind of note where the missing article belongs, directing the reader to
find the pocket?       Annalisa Van Avery,   av691@cnsvax.albany.edu

______

Date: Tue, 05 Nov 1996 14:25:20 -0500 (EST)
From: Deborah Harrell <dharrell@westga.edu>

Here at UWG, we get copies of articles from ILL, and "tip" them in where
they actually belong.  Thats for titles that don't come on microform.
Now that we have access to many journals full-text through the computer,
we probably will also include that stipulation. We do the same thing for
books with torn-out pages.

Thanks.

Debbie Harrell
Ingram Library, State University of West Georgia
phone: 770-836-6498
fax: 770-836-6626