Re: Vandalized Periodicals (3 messages) Ann Ercelawn 06 Nov 1996 14:21 UTC

3 messages:
____

Date: Tue, 05 Nov 1996 16:00:18 -0500
From: "hanks, nancy" <nancy.hanks@SRU.EDU>
Subject: Re: Vandalized Periodicals (3 messages)
 <SERIALST@UVMVM.UVM.EDU>

        We generally order photocopies through ILL for missing pages.  A
post-it note is put in the volume indicating that the pages have been
ordered and the note is updated to ask at Serials when the photocopy
arrives.  Until binding, the pages are kept in a filing cabinet by name of
journal. We actually keep 2 copies until binding (only one is available to
patrons just in case it gets lost.  That way we don't have to go back to ILL
again.) Some pages become permanent residents of the file if we judge that
there is no binding margin left in a previously bound volume.  If the damage
is too bad, we often replace the entire volume with microfilm if it is
available.
Nancy S. Hanks                          Phone:  412-738-2658
Serials Librarian                       Fax:    412-738-2661
Bailey Library                          Email:  nancy.hanks@sru.edu
Slippery Rock University
Slippery Rock, PA  16057

______

Date: Wed, 06 Nov 1996 09:11:59 +0000 (GMT)
From: Lesley Tweddle <LTWEDDLE@ACS.AUC.EUN.EG>
Subject: Re: Vandalized Periodicals (Paula Pinter)

At the American Univ in Cairo we replace articles if they are
requested.  We then keep them in our Reserve Collection and put
a glued-in slip in their place in the volume saying that the
article missing from this place is no x in the Reserve Collection.
We don't routinely replace all torn-out articles.
Lesley Tweddle, Collections Management

______

Date: Wed, 06 Nov 1996 09:14:18 -0500
From: Sallie Alger <alger@ANDREWS.EDU>

Paula,

In our library we have open access to all of our current periodicals.  We
have experience _some_ vandalism.  We try to get the missing pages from
duplicate or another local library that discards their current issues
after the microfiche comes or we request photocopies through ILL.  If the
missing section is not too large, we _tip in_ the pages by putting a thin
stream of glue along the margin side of the page(s) and setting it in
where it was ripped out.  We put a strip of wax paper on each side of the
page(s) so that it won't stick to the pages on each side.  We have a
shelf in the workroom where these volumes are place when discovered and a
student assistant is assigned to do this process ever so often.

Hope this helps,

Sallie Alger
alger@andrews.edu