Re: Gifts (8 messages) Ann Ercelawn 07 Nov 1996 22:36 UTC

8 messages:
____

Date: Thu, 07 Nov 1996 08:54:18 -0500
From: Jeanette Skwor <SKWORJ@GBMS01.UWGB.EDU>
Subject: Re: Gifts (Donna Sue Yanney)

***I use "gratis" to indicate the freebies and "Do not claim" or simply
"DNC" for those qualifying.  On the other hand, if gratis materials do not
appear regularly, we have no compunction about withdrawing.

Jeanette Skwor
Cofrin Library
University of Wisconsin-Green Bay

_____

Date: Thu, 07 Nov 1996 10:18:27 -0400
From: Regina Mira <MIRAR1@LION.UOFS.EDU>

Donna,

Why not "Gift" - Do Not Claim!
This is our practice which allows us to know all volumes may not be
complete.  Rather than waste time trying to procure missing issues, we
are aware of non-claim item.

Regina Mira
University of Scranton
Weinberg Memorial Library
Scranton,Pa 18510

______

Date: Thu, 07 Nov 1996 06:00:00 -0600 (MDT)
From: "FS ROSE MIDGE L." <ROSEMIDG@UCS.ISU.EDU>

Hi Donna,

We simply create a bibliographic record, check-in record, and order
record in our INNOVACQ serials system.  On the order screen we insert
the letter g in the vendor field, and on the check-in screen we add a note that
says DO NOT CLAIM.

Midge L. Rose (rosemidg@isu.edu)
Head, Serials Acquisitions
Oboler Library, Idaho State University
Pocatello, ID 83209-8080
(208) 236-2689
FAX 236-4295

_____

Date: Thu, 07 Nov 1996 11:58:37 -0500
From: "Geraldine H. Wescott" <wescott@LYCO.LYCOMING.EDU>

Hi Donna!

I can't believe that a note that only you or other techs will see, has to
be 'professional' what ever that might be.

It says exactly what anyone needs to know in plain English.  I feel sorry
that you have such a small-minded boss! I'm glad I work where I do when I
read some of the stories on this list.

Gerre

*  Gerre Wescott-Periodicals Technician       <wescott@lycoming.edu>    *
*  Lycoming College                           voice - 717-321-4089      *
*  Snowden Library                            fax   - 717-321-4090      *
*  700 College Place                          campus box #141           *
*  Williamsport PA 17701-5192                 "Dux femina facti"        *

____

Date: Thu, 07 Nov 1996 12:20:59 -0400
From: Tim Lawrence <lawrencet@NKU.EDU>

"Do not claim." But tell them to hell with "professional"; that concept most
often interferes with getting the job done.

Tim Lawrence                        lawrencet@nku.edu
Northern Kentucky University

____

Date: Thu, 07 Nov 1996 08:37:22 -0900
From: "Oswood, Judith L (fnjlo@aurora.alaska.edu)" <fnjlo@AURORA.ALASKA.EDU>

> Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 16:29:12 CST6CDT
> From: Donna Sue Yanney <dyanney@COLEMAN.PVAM.EDU>
> Subject: Gifts
>
> On these order records, accessible only to technical services staff, I have
> tried to differentiate the claimable (or claim worthy) from the not claimable.
> The note I use for the not claimable is "accept what comes" meaning we'll

Donna,

At the University of Alaska Fairbanks, Rasmuson Library, we use "Do not
claim".

Judith Oswood
University of Alaska Fairbanks
Bibliographic Access Management
fnjlo@aurora.alaska.edu

______

Date: Thu, 07 Nov 1996 08:48:00 -0900
From: Freya Anderson <anfna@UAA.ALASKA.EDU>

Donna Sue-
I don't know if this is any more acceptable, but we simply write "Do not
claim" on the check in cards (yes-we are still using a manual system)
Freya Anderson
University of Alaska Anchorage
Consortium Library

_____

Date: Thu, 07 Nov 1996 08:48:49 -1000
From: Carol Schaafsma <carols@HAWAII.EDU>

We use the non-committal phrase "Do not claim" in these circumstances.

Carol Schaafsma
Head, Collection Services Division
University of Hawaii Libraries

carols@hawaii.edu