538 vs. 530 Cataloging Question (Mary Grenci) Ann Ercelawn 08 Nov 1996 04:37 UTC

Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 14:21:51 -0800 (PST)
From: Mary Grenci <mgrenci@darkwing.uoregon.edu>
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Cataloging question (fwd)

I would like to revisit the 538 vs. 530 question yet again because I am
still confused as to which field to use for System Requirements and Mode
of Access notes for remote access ejournals.

According to the message below, the 538 field was used for these purposes
at a NASIG conference presentation. Later, Conser issued guidelines which
stated that the 530 field should be used for this purpose.

Okay, this is clear enough. My confusion comes from reading the Conser
documentation on Cataloger's Desktop (1996, Issue 3). Module 31 of the
Conser Cataloging Manual as shown on the Desktop clearly states that the 538
field is to be used.

>From the field definitions and explanations, it seems to me that the 538
field is the most logical place to put this information, but since we
catalog serials according to Conser practice I can't just go with my 'gut
feeling'.

Does anyone know what Conser's final decision was? If we are to use field
530, does anyone know why?

Thank you.

Mary Grenci
Serials Catalog Librarian