Re: Page numbers on spine of bound volumes (messages 9-17) Birdie MacLennan 14 Nov 1996 22:22 UTC

messages 9-17, 218 lines:

(9)----------------------
Date:         Thu, 14 Nov 1996 13:27:08 -0600
From:         "Kevin M. Randall" <kmr@NWU.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Page numbers on spine of bound volumes

Our Science-Engineering Library includes page numbers on the midspine for
several titles.  I don't know how many, though.  The numbers are usually
just included after the date.  We never use them in the
enumeration/chronology area (part of the call number)--that's for volume and
issue numbers only (or dates, if it doesn't carry numbering).

Kevin M. Randall
Head, Serials Cataloging Section
Northwestern University Library
Evanston, IL   60208-2300

email: kmr@nwu.edu
phone: (847) 491-2939  **New Area Code!**
fax:   (847) 491-7637

(10)----------------------
Date:         Thu, 14 Nov 1996 14:55:51 -0500
From:         Carol Jones <carol.jones@YALE.EDU>

Annalisa:  About four years ago, at the request of our Principal Reference
Librarian, we added page numbers to the spines of bound volumes for titles
which must be bound in parts.  Since my background is in the Social
Sciences, I was unfamiliar with the citation practice of using page numbers
instead of issue numbers, but my colleague made a good case and we have
done so ever since.  This does result in a bit more information to be input
into the binding record and more information imprinted on the spine, but
these details are not viewed as problems.

As long as your binder can handle the format and there is no additional
cost, I think it is a useful change to make.

Carol Jones
Technical Services Librarian
Kline Science Library
Yale University

(11)------------------------
Date:         Thu, 14 Nov 1996 15:04:16 +0000
From:         Craig Fairley <fairley@TAP.NET>

Personally, I would go ahead and start putting the page numbers on, especially
since it is showing responsiveness to your clientelle and adding
value for very little cost (you do have added staff
costs for the effort).  It could well be that others would like it,
but never thought to ask.

>         We have not been printing page numbers on the spines; we usually
> use the variants as they appear on the issues -- issue numbers, months,
> etc.  Some reference index/abstracts will have abst. numbers, but most
> commonly it will be "no.1-6" and "no.7-12," or "Jan.-Mar.," "Apr.-June,"
> etc.  I asked our bindery if many libraries used page numbers on the
> spine, and they said a few do, but they are mostly medical libraries,
> not the college and university libraries.
>
>         I would be interested in hearing from other libraries ....

Craig Fairley
Information Dynamics
2165 Margot Street
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
L6H 3M5
(905) 842-1406
fairley@tap.net

"Services in information and process management"

(12)------------------------
Date:         Thu, 14 Nov 1996 15:29:13 -0500
From:         Jack Etsweiler <jack@EMUNIX.EMICH.EDU>

Here at Eastern we have been using page numbers for some of the technical
and scientific journals, since articles in these journals tend to be cited
that way.  We include the volume number and sometimes date information (in
addition to just the year).  Noone seems to have complained (or noticed,
perhaps) so far, and we started labelling journals with page
numbers several years ago.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Jack Etsweiler                                  Canto, ergo sum
University Library
Eastern Michigan University             "Time is not a renewable resource"
jack@emunix.emich.edu
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

(13)------------------------
Date:         Thu, 14 Nov 1996 15:17:00 PST
From:         "McCawley, Christina" <cmccawley@WCUPA.EDU>
Subject:      FW: Page numbers on spine of bound volumes

Well, ours was a Chemistry professor, and he convinced us that there was a
real need for page numbers on the spine so we went ahead with certain
selected titles.  It seems to be a legitimate request from the science
faculty members.

Christina McCawley
cmccawley@wcupa.edu
West Chester University
West Chester, PA
 ----------

(14)-------------------------------
Date:         Thu, 14 Nov 1996 11:53:30 -0900
From:         Freya Anderson <anfna@UAA.ALASKA.EDU>

Here at the University of Alaska Anchorage Consortium Library, we have a
statewide medical library separate but within ours.  We send out and
check in the bindery for both, but they prepare their own.  I have
noticed that they use page numbers on many of their titles.  We don't in
the main library though.  I think it is because most titles we carry do
not have consecutively numbered pages.  I have wondered on the few titles
that do have consecutive page numbers if we should make a note of it.  To
my knowledge, however, no one has ever asked about it.  It seems to me
that if the number of applicable titles is small, there shouldn't be that
much extra work.  (Except fixing backfiles...aargh!).  I would be
inclined to add the page numbers, on future volumes anyway.

Freya Anderson

(15)------------------------
Date:         Fri, 15 Nov 1996 08:19:30 +0000
From:         Tom Girke <Tom.Girke@LIB.MONASH.EDU.AU>

Although we have never had any complaints from our users regarding
the spine labelling of bound volumes, we recently standardised the
way we label our bound volumes.  This is what we are currently doing:

1. for complete volumes
 the volume number and year are labelled only

19
1996

2. when complete volumes are split
 the volume number, year and pages and labelled only

19
1996
pp. 1-596

3. if, on the rare occasion, each issue within a particular volume has
its own pagination and the volume is split
 the volume number, issue numbers and year are labelled only

19
1996
no. 1-6

If no issues numbers are indicated months are used instead

19
1996
JAN-JUN

Tom Girke
Serials Coordinator
Biomedical Library
Monash University
CLAYTON  VIC  3168
AUSTRALIA
tom.girke@lib.monash.edu.au
Phone: 61 3 9905 2634

(16)---------------------
Date:         Thu, 14 Nov 1996 16:24:05 EST
From:         Kamala Narayanan <NARAYANA@QUCDN.QUEENSU.CA>

At our library we do use page numbers on the spine of some journal volumes,
if it is the  best way to retrieve the volumes.

Mrs. Kamala S.Narayanan          Userid:narayana@qucdn.queensu.ca
Serials Librarian                Phone :(613) 545-6000 ext 4540
Mackintosh Corry Hall            Fax   :(613) 545-6819
Library, Acquisitions/Serials
Queen's University,Kingston. Ontario K7L 5C4 Canada

(17)---------------------
Date:         Thu, 14 Nov 1996 15:19:28 CST
From:         Carrie Ferm 7316 <ALICF@AUGUSTANA.EDU>

Hi Annalisa,  I was requested to put the page numbers on the spines
of the science journals by chemistry professor and another librarian.
 We do put the page numbers on titles that are bound in many parts
per volume, but also put the vol no. , issue no and date(s) on the
spine.
Glad to hear someone else does the same thing.

     Carrie Ferm
     Periodical Section
     Augustana College Library
     3435 9 1/2 Avenue