Renewal notices, USPS regulations, etc. (2 messages) Birdie MacLennan 03 Dec 1996 22:58 UTC

2 messages, 82 lines:

(1)-----------------------
Date:         Tue, 3 Dec 1996 14:42:54 -0500
From:         Steve Black <blacks@ROSNET.STROSE.EDU>
Subject:      Re: street address

Today's renewals (all addressed to our library, all billed to our
vendor) from University of Illinois Press, postmarked Nov. 25, 1996
include bright yellow cards that say:

"IMPORTANT! NEW U.S. POSTAL SERVICE ADDRESS REGULATIONS

Please review your mailing address as shown on the enclosed renewal
notice.  If it does not dispay a complete street address or a box number,
the U.S. Postal Service cannot create a bar-coded delivery label.

By correcting and completing your address. . .you can insure speedier
delivery of your journal issues -- and you can help us contain the costs
of bulk mailings."

  The key to receive the bulk rate would appear to be the 4-digit Zip Code
extension.

Steve Black
Reference, Serials and Instruction Librarian
Neil Hellman Library
Albany, NY  12203                                  "Cogito eggo sum"
blacks@rosnet.strose.edu                     (I think, therefore I waffle)

(2)----------------------
Date:         Tue, 3 Dec 1996 16:42:30 EST
From:         Albert Henderson <70244.1532@COMPUSERVE.COM>
Subject:      USPS regulations

USPS regulations not only call for a "street" address and ZIP+4, the address
must be identifiable on the USPS address database!

The USPS calls their new system CASS (Coding Accuracy Support System). It
asks mailers to use certified software to match each address to their
database. The software verifies the street address, ZIP+4 and modifies
details such as spelling out Saint Louis (for St Lous) to meet USPS specs.

Many colleges and universities contributed to the USPS database, in order
to speed delivery of mail and ease the load on the campus mailroom. Others
have not done so and there are constant error messages and short bar
codes.

My best recommendation is to identify barcoded mail that is addressed in
an acceptable way and to provide that address to all vendors, publishers,
agencies, etc.

Albert Henderson, Editor, PUBLISHING RESEARCH QUARTERLY
70244.1532@compuserve.com