Renewal notices, USPS regulations, etc. (2 messages) Birdie MacLennan 05 Dec 1996 18:17 UTC

2 messages, 109 lines:

(1)-----------------------
Date:         Thu, 5 Dec 1996 11:02:59 EST
From:         Albert Henderson <70244.1532@COMPUSERVE.COM>
Subject:      Renewal notices, USPS regulations, etc. (3 messages)

It seems to me that colleges and universities could make a dent in their
administrative costs by taking advantage of USPS automation and having the very
considerable load of library mail delivered directly to the library. The USPS
database indicates a separate zip+4 for nearly every condominium apartment in
America but very few college libraries.

For whatever interest there may be, the USPS CASS database shows street
addresses for

(A) Eastern Kentucky University at

521 Lancaster Ave, Richmond KY 40475-3101
521 Lancaster Ave, Richmond KY 40475-3175

There is no zip+4 at 40475-3121 on the database.

(B) Gettysburg College at:

300 N Washington St,  Gettysburg PA 17325-1499

0 Gettysburg College, Gettysburg PA 17325-1411

[if you don't include the '0' the software reports a 'range error'!?]

Albert Henderson, Editor, PUBLISHING RESEARCH QUARTERLY
70244.1532@compuserve.com

Date:         Thu, 5 Dec 1996 09:24:47 -0500
From:         JoAnne Deeken <djoanne@CLEMSON.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Renewal notices

Steve Murden wrote:
>Second, I have noticed a consistent notice in all of the renewals
>from Mary Ann Liebert.  It says:
>
>     New postal regulations require that we have complete street
>addreses for our subscribers.
>
>     Please check your address as shown on this renewal form.  If
>your street address is missing, please fill in the required street
>and number information on this form and return to us along with
>your renewal form.
>
>     By correcting your address, you will ensure faster and intact
>delivery by the postal system.
>
>Can anyone tell me what those new postal regulations are?  At my
>university, all mail is delivered to the university post office,
>and is dsitributed centrally from there.  We are not allowed to
>have direct mail delivery at our libraries.  In our case, putting
>the street address on our mailing labels would only cause
>confusion.  If I received my personal mail through a PO Box, they
>certainly would not require me to list my street address (or the
>street address of the PO) on my incoming mail.  Is this another
>case of someone misinterpreting postal regulations?  Or (a worst
>case scenario), another case of the USPS setting illogical
>regulations?

We got a couple of calls and notices on this also.  Wilma Burkett on my
staff called the post office.  Under new postal regulations, if the sender
wants to send something at other than first class rates, they are to use a
street address, not a P.O. Box.  Since, like Steve, all the campus mail
comes to a central mail receiving area, we are giving out the main address
for the university (more like the intersection of a couple of streets near
the admin building) ONLY when we are told that deliveries will cease if we
can't provide a street address.  The street address we give out was one the
campus post office decided upon after great gnashing of teeth.  We
definitely do NOT plan to do a massive address change.

Good luck!

JoAnne

JoAnne Deeken
Head, Acquisitions Unit