Re: serial holdings-level 4 enumeration Kevin M. Randall 09 Dec 1996 17:15 UTC

At 02:11 PM 12/3/96 EST, JHUNTER@WPOGATE.MESA.COLORADO.EDU wrote:
>Older volumes of Journal of Psychology were published as:
>
>  "volume 62, First half January, 1966"
>
>They also published 3 volumes per year.  We have:
> volume 62, first half    Jan. 19966
> volume 62, second half   Mar. 1966
> volume 63, first half    May 1966
> volume 63, second half   July 1966
>
>Our policy is to compress as much as possible.  If volume is complete
>we eliminate subordinate data.  In this instance, holdings would
>read as:
>
>  v.62(1966)-v.63(1966)
>
>Since this might be confusing, I am inclined to retain subordinate
>data and still compress.  My question if how to note the subordinate
>data.  Since publisher does not use "no." for caption, and per
>ANSI Z39.44 - 1986 abbreviations are only those listed in AACR2,
>my best guess is the following.
>
>  v.62:1st half(1966:Jan.)-v.63:2nd half(1966:July)
>
>Would this be correct, or have other libraries taken liberties with
>the enumeration and treated "first half" as equivalent to "no.1"?

I would compress it as:

        v.62 (1966:Jan./Mar.)-v.63 (1966:May/July)

This gives both conciseness for the enumeration and precision for the
chronology; and, I believe, is a correct interpretation of the standard.

If recording holdings in full detail, "1st half" etc. would need to be used
for the second level of enumeration, because that is what the publication
uses.  Changing it to "no.1" is IMO unnecessary, and can be risky.  If you
change a caption, the publisher may someday start using your
locally-assigned caption for a different level of enumeration.  That has
happened to us on occasion.

Kevin M. Randall
Head, Serials Cataloging Section
Northwestern University Library
Evanston, IL   60208-2300

email: kmr@nwu.edu
phone: (847) 491-2939  **New Area Code!**
fax:   (847) 491-7637