Renewal notices, USPS regulations, etc. Albert Henderson 09 Dec 1996 17:20 UTC

You mean this postmaster expects us to believe that he can sort and deliver
mail to (for instance) apt 811 of the San Gabriel Apts at 1100 Leander Rd
(zip 78628-8788) but delivery  your library at its street address is
"not an option"???!!!

Is this really his position? Does he claim this is post office policy or
campus policy?

Al Henderson
<70244.1532@COMPUSERVE.COM>
---------- Forwarded Message ----------

From:   Amy Anderson, INTERNET:andersoa@SOUTHWESTERN.EDU
DATE:   12/6/96 10:17 AM
RE:     Re: Renewal notices, USPS regulations, etc.

Albert Henderson wrote:
>Why not give publishers your street address and get your money's worth?
>If that creates some redundencies in the mailroom, claim the savings
>for the library.  You probably could use the money in support of
>instruction and research.

Having talked to our local postmaster this morning to try to clarify this
whole mess, I was informed that street address delivery to most
universities, and certainly to us, is just not an option.  The Post Office
does not offer street delivery to us.  He also said that a post office box
address with zip+four would satisfy the new regulations.  Third class
delivery will still be sent to box numbers as will as bulk mailings.

Hope he is right!  I have asked my vendor to check with someone higher on
the totem pole in the Postal System to verify this.

AA

Amy Fuge Anderson                            email: andersoa@southwestern.edu
Smith Library Center                         phone: 512-863-1639
Southwestern University                      fax: 512-863-1155
Georgetown, TX  78626