Re: What do Postmasters Know? Lisa Macklin 16 Dec 1996 15:03 UTC

Mr. Henderson,

In your last message regarding mail sorting at university campuses, you state:

>NEWS - For those postmasters who claimed that delivery by USPS direct to
>libraries and other campus locations was "not an option:"
>
>The USPS does indeed make direct deliveries to a number of campuses, sorting
>down to building and/or departmental level thus eliminating the cost of
>campus mailrooms to intercept, hand sort, delay, and finally deliver it

  <list of campuses who do and do not have library delivery deleted>

In this instance you refer to the cost of the campus mailroom.  You then
follow this remark by stating:

>Thanks to all who replied to my query. I will probably prepare an article or
>editorial on this waste of library money, so I would welcome comments and
>experiences.
>
>Albert Henderson, Editor, PUBLISHING RESEARCH QUARTERLY,
>70244.1532@compuserve.com

How is delivery to a campus mailroom a waste of library money?  The
university pays the salaries, etc. of the campus mailroom and would reap the
financial benefit, if any, of eliminating the mailroom.

Lisa

Lisa A. Macklin
Head, Serials Control Dept.       Phone:  (404) 894-4517
Georgia Institute of Technology   FAX:  (404) 894-1723
Library and Information Center    e-mail:  lisa.macklin@library.gatech.edu
Atlanta, Georgia  30332-0900