Database or Spreadsheet for serials records (Bonnie Kirk) Ann Ercelawn 31 Dec 1996 23:59 UTC

Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 12:40:50 -0800
From: Bonnie Kirk <KirkBo@WWC.EDU>
Subject: Database or Spreadsheet for serials records? -Reply

I have used a number of spreadsheet and database programs and am
currently in the process of training on Innopac system for Library
Acquisitions.  I have to admit, until I took a class about a year ago in
Intermediate Spreadsheets where the coursework was the use of
Microsoft Excel I thought supercalc V couldn't be beat.  Before this class
I had never even used a mouse.  Well, I am such an enthusiastic user of
Excel after the class even starting from ground zero that I highly
recommend it to everyone here at WWC Library.  I have to admit I have
not used Access? but do plan to try it out in the near future and have
heard good things about it so far.  Seriously though, I have found Excel
works so well for me even in what are usually considered word
processing applications that I use it for most of my work.  It has allowed
me to link spreadsheets graphics and data base information, print out
pretty nice looking reports, condense, subtotal, and the list goes on and
on.  Two books which I have found very helpful are: Excel 5 for
Windows Step by Step ISBN 1-55615-587-5 published by Microsoft
Press and DDC Quick Reference Guide Excel 5 for Windows by DDC
Publishing, ISBN 1-56243-116-1.
If I can be of further assistance you can reach me at kirkbo@wwc.edu