Re: What to do with Old Journals/Magazines (3 messages) Ann Ercelawn 03 Jan 1997 23:18 UTC

3 messages:

(in addition to the suggestions mentioned below, you may also wish to
have a look at Birdie MacLennan's web page, Back Issues & Exchange
Services, http://www.uvm.edu/~bmaclenn/backexch.html)-- ed.

Date: Fri, 03 Jan 1997 12:11:39 -0600 (CST)
From: Carrie Ferm 7316 <ALICF@AUGUSTANA.EDU>
Subject: Re: What to do with Old Journals/Magazines (Elizabeth Fronk

Good Morning:

We have a prison in the neighboring town and I send all the Time,
NEwsweek, US News & World REport, Sport Illustrated, Sport, Inside
Sport, Readers Digest that are given to us, to the prison library.
We have a shuttle, so I can send it without cost.

Sometimes nursing homes, with an activity center, will have a use for
old magazines.

If all else fails,  RECYCLE!!!

Good Luck,

     Carrie Ferm
     Periodical Section
     Augustana College Library
     3435 9 1/2 Avenue
     Rock Island, IL  61201

(309)794-7316
e-mail:  alicf@augustana.edu

____

Date: Fri, 03 Jan 1997 12:03:46 -0500 (EST)
From: "Sternberg, Evelyn" <esternberg@HDQTRS.CRCPRESS.COM>

          An appreciated gesture would be to donate them to a nursing
          home.  They could be used for activities.

          Evelyn Sternberg
          CRC Press
          561-998-2585 esternberg@crcpress.com
_____

Date: Fri, 03 Jan 1997 15:18:46 -0500
From: Barbara Eastland - Library <eastland@HAL.MUHLBERG.EDU>

Two suggestions:
        Offer them on Backserv for other libraries who might be able to
use some/all issues to fill in gaps;
        Contact the used/duplicates periodical dealer(s), e.g., America
Periodicals (Philadelphia), Jaeger (New York), Royoung (New York) and see
if they might be interested in purchasing back runs that are complete.

Cordially,
Barb Eastland, serials
Muhlenberg College
Allentown  PA