Mail during Moving (3 messages) Birdie MacLennan 29 Jan 1997 16:34 UTC

3 messages, 110 lines:

(1)--------------------------
Date:         Wed, 29 Jan 1997 08:11:32 EST
From:         Pamela Wells <pwells@LEO.VSLA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Mail during Moving

Dear Jill,

We recently moved to a new bldg. (Dec. 9-20, 1996) and made
arrangements with the moving company for library staff to work
in their offices up til the final day.  Mail was delivered as
usual, and we put it on display until the time to move all the
periodicals, which were moved last. Students and the public
were allowed to use only two reading rooms during the move, and we
just tried to stay out of the movers' way -- it worked amicably!
Good luck, and be prepared for some hard work!

Sincerely,
Pam Wells
Pam Wells                                    E-mail: pwells@leo.vsla.edu
Serials Librarian                             Phone: 804-278-4325
Union Theological Seminary                      Fax: 804-355-3919
According to Jill Williams:

(2)-------------------------
Date:         Wed, 29 Jan 1997 08:59:27 -0500
From:         Kimball Susan <skimbal@WCL.AMERICAN.EDU>

Jill,

At the Washington College of Law Library, which moved last year about this
same time we attempted to label mail bags/crates with dates so as to keep
them in order. What we discovered was that this was a lost cause. We ended
up just dealing with everything after we settled in at the new location. It
is a difficult situation but we just had to allow for extra time and staff
to play catch up after moving. We did pull out first class mail throughout
the move so that important items did not get overlooked and time sensitive
material was delivered. Good luck!

Susan

Susan J. Kimball
Serials & Technical Systems Coordinator
American University Law Library
4801 Massachusetts Ave. NW, Suite 201
Washington, DC  20016-8183
(202)274-4354
Fax (202)274-4365
skimbal@wcl.american.edu

(3)-------------------------
Date:         Wed, 29 Jan 1997 10:47:35 -0500
From:         Lisa Macklin <lisa.macklin@IBID.LIBRARY.GATECH.EDU>

Jill,

We had a similiar experience at the Georgia Insitute of Technology during
the Olympics.  Georgia Tech was the Olympic Village and the Library was in
the middle of what was called the secure zone.  Only Georgia Tech staff who
had passed a security clearance were allowed in the secure zone.  For 2
months, we had very few patrons since there were no students on campus and
most of the faculty did not have a security clearance for the Olympic
Village.  Since we knew this would be a slow period for public services, the
library planned and staged a project to move all pre-1980 periodicals into
compact shelving installed in the basement of our building.  Everyone who
was working during the Olympics (and quite a few people were on leave during
this time) helped with the move.  We worked in 2 hour shifts, and how many
shifts you worked depended on the department you worked in and your regular
duties.  Technical Services staff worked 8 to 12 hours a week on the move.
The rest of the time we checked in mail and worked on other projects.

My advice is to ask that your staff be able to spend some of their time
processing the mail.  Prioritize what must be done and approximately how
long it takes your staff to accomplish those tasks in a week.  Also, I would
recommend you suspend claiming until you have caught up with the mail,
particularly journals.  In my experience, it is impossible to generate
accurate claims when issues are waiting to be checked in.  I am assuming you
will not be able to process anything for at least few days while your
furniture and computers are being moved.

Good luck with your move!  I hope your new facility is everything you want
it to be.

Lisa

Lisa A. Macklin
Head, Serials Control Dept.       Phone:  (404) 894-4517
Georgia Institute of Technology   FAX:  (404) 894-1723
Library and Information Center    e-mail:  lisa.macklin@library.gatech.edu
Atlanta, Georgia  30332-0900