Re: use of (Online) qualifier for remote access serial Steve Shadle 07 Jan 1997 21:02 UTC

On Tue, 7 Jan 1997, Esther Simpson wrote:
> I am cataloging a remote access computer file serial which on first glance I
> thought to be the online version of the print but actually the internet site
> contains just the abstracts of the articles published in the journal.

Esther -- Another possible cataloging treatment is to not catalog the
online "relative" separately as it does not contain full-text, but instead
to note its existence in the record for the print:

500     Abstracts also available online via the World Wide Web.
856 7  $3 Table of contents $u http://www.karger.ch/journals/kib/kibcont.htm $2
http

see OCLC #35073635 as an example.  --Steve

Steve Shadle
Serials Cataloger
University of Washington Libraries
<shadle@U.WASHINGTON.EDU>