Materials on microcard (fwd) Bob Thomas 03 Feb 1997 15:58 UTC

FYI

Bob Thomas
rothomas@u.washington.edu
Student, GSLIS, University of Washington
Student Assistant, Serials Cataloging
Reference Assistant, Microforms & Newspapers Collection

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 14:19:35 -0600
From: Saundra Williams <willias@dewey.lib.memphis.edu>
To: GOVDOC-L@PSUVM.PSU.EDU
Subject: Found - A Printer for Readex Microcards

GovDoc-L,
Yesterday I saw something I'd never seen since becoming a documents
librarian in 1980.  A copy of one of my Readex micro-opaque cards!!

We're getting a purchase order today for the scanner which attaches
to a Readex reader and transforms the opaque card into a digital
image.  A good quality print is delivered to a laser printer.  Card
and coin boxes may be installed.  Of course, digital copies can be
made from other reader/.printers with this technology - it was the
Readex application that immediately caught my eye.

As they had yet to actually MAKE a scanner to attach to a Readex
reader, I was so sceptical that the two gentlemen demonstrating their
products took one of our old Readex readers with them, (Opaque View 7, the
Readex Universal viewer is smaller and the scanner can't be attached
to that one) adjusted the lighting, and made a template from our
machine.  Yesterday they brought it back with scanner attached and in
working order.  It copies!!!

My Readex collection of depository and non/depository publications from
1956-1978 just became usable again.  I know there are many others of
you out there with documents plus all the other series Readex did who
are very interested in being able to pirnt again.

Contact:

Capitol Copy Inc
1205 Eagle Bend Court
Jacksonville, FL   32226
1-800-969-4674
Fax  904-757-6820

cmwalton@aol.com

Saundra Williams                      swilliam@CC.MEMPHIS.EDU
Head, Government Publications         (901) 678-2206
The University of Memphis Libraries   FAX (901) 678-8218
The University of Memphis
 http://www.lib.memphis.edu/gpo/unclesam.htm
Memphis, Tennessee 38152