AUTOMATED PERIODICALS USAGE SYSTEM (Keith Renwick) Marcia Tuttle 26 Feb 1997 14:16 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 16:43:59 GMT
From: Keith Renwick <kdrenk@FS3.LI.UMIST.AC.UK>
Subject: AUTOMATED PERIODICALS USAGE SYSTEM

Some time ago I mailed this list with information about an automated
system I am developing which will produce data on use of periodicals by
title, time period, etc. The need for such a system is escalating with the
increasing pressure on library budgets and the availability of usage data
on electronic alternatives to hard-copy journals.

Data capture for the system I am developing will depend upon the scanning
of data at the time of reshelving the periodical issues/volumes by whoever
is doing this within the library, whether porters, library assistants or
shelvers. Once captured, downloading of data into the system, evaluation
of it and generation of usage statistics is automated.

The purpose in mailing this list is to find out whether librarians in
educational institutions see the potential of such a system undermined by
reliance for data capture on those undertaking reshelving of the material?

Secondly, what is the size of the potential market? How many libraries on
this mailing list would be interested in further information (including
pricing) about a stand-alone system complete with hardware, software and
peripheral equipment?

Thank you in advance to all those who respond.

Keith D. Renwick,
Head of Technical Services & Administration,
UMIST Library & Information Service,
P.O.Box 88,
Manchester M60 1QD.
Tel : (44) 161-200 4940