Re: Materials on microcard Nancy Hanks 04 Feb 1997 18:02 UTC

        At SRU, we have two large microform sets that get occasional usage:
the early years of the "University of Oregon" set (theses in the sports
area) and Early American Newspapers.  (In the 8 years I've been here, no one
has asked for any of the other material in microcard.)  We do not have the
money to replace all of the Oregon microcards with microfiche.  However, if
a graduate student or professor expresses serious interest in one after
looking at the microcard, we will order replacement fiche on a title by
title basis.  Any one using the Newspapers is out of luck for copying and
has to use that old standby, pencil and paper.
        We are anticipating shifting Serials around this year - it may be a
good time to weed some of the other microcard sets.
        We have two very dusty microcard readers that still work (and I
haven't needed to buy replacement bulbs recently and now wonder if we have
any extras...)

At 12:17 PM 1/30/97 EST, Anita Gordon-Gilmore wrote:
>   Are many libraries still using microcard materials?
>   ... or have you been able to switch this material to another format?
>
>   I think that we have the last living (and I use the term loosely) microcard
>reader in existence. This is not a reader/printer. Does such exist?
>
>   This is old and poor technology, but we still have patrons who want this
>information from microcard. We are unable to get replacement bulbs for our
>machine.
>
>   Even if we could get a good reader or reader/printer, we would rather not.
>
>   Has anyone been able to "re-archive" microcard materials into a more usable
>format? When? Where? How? How much$?
>
>Anita Gordon-Gilmore             e-mail: lbag@fhsuvm.fhsu.edu
>Serials Librarian                phone: (913) 628-4090
>Forsyth Library                  fax: (913) 628-4096
>Fort Hays State University, Hays, KS 67601-4099

Nancy S. Hanks                          Phone:  412-738-2658
Serials Librarian                       Fax:    412-738-2661
Bailey Library                          Email:  nancy.hanks@sru.edu
Slippery Rock University
Slippery Rock, PA  16057