Re: Periodical subscription agents (Martha Taylor) Marcia Tuttle 10 Feb 1997 19:00 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 13:14:53 -0500
From: Taylor, Martha <MTaylor@VTS.EDU>

Until last year, we subscribed directly to all our US titles (500+). The
reason we switched to handling by an agent (EBSCO) was that the staff
time involved in maintaining direct subscriptions could be put to better
use. In terms of claim responsivness, I would say that in dealing with
large subscription houses that handle popular titles like Time and
Newsweek, you will get the same or perhaps worse results directly than
you would by claiming through an agent. I have found that a
comprehensive bill is much more convenient and informative than
individual renewals. We did not have the option of paying by credit
card, so we had to cut checks for each renewal. That meant requesting
and keeping records on 500+ small checks, which was a burden on our
business office. An additional problem with direct subscriptions are
publishers that do not automatically send out renewal notices. That
entails the library having some way of remembering to contact the
publisher every year to request a renewal notice. All in all, having
done it both ways, I am very glad to have the agent do this kind of
work.

Martha Taylor
Periodicals Librarian
Virginia Theological Seminary