Binding journal incomplete (5 messages) Marcia Tuttle 03 Mar 1997 13:58 UTC

----------(1)

Date:         Fri, 28 Feb 1997 15:29:14 -0600
From: Andrew Leonhart <aleonhar@MANC.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Binding Incomplete Volumes (Valerie Adams)

Valarie:

I have great news for you! I used to bind incomplete volumes til last
week. Last Friday I found a wonderful listserve where serials librarians
exchange duplicate copies. I have already filled several holes in my
collection just this week. The list is backserv@sun.readmore.com

Send a message to listserv@sun.readmore.com
No subject.
In the body of the message type:
SUBSCRIBE BACKSERV firstname lastname

Next week I will start trying to get rid of some of my duplicates. Perhaps
you will need some of mine.

Andrew

----------(2)

Date:         Fri, 28 Feb 1997 16:07:05 -0500
From: Janie Branham <jbranham@SELU.EDU>

Valarie -

Here at SLU we revised our policy a few years ago to allow binding of
incomplete volumes. Prior to that time, incomplete volumes were held
(unbound) in the Serials Office and, before that, they were subjected to
"temporary" in-house binding. Although we make every attempt to replace
missing issues, we find that it is much more effective to bind an
incomplete volume and get it out for public use than to hold it
indefinitely. We do not identify missing issues on the spine, but we
insert a special form in the front of the volume stating which issue(s)
are missing. We also insert a form in the section of the volume where the
issue should be. These forms not only tell the patron that the issue is
missing, but it directs them to contact the Interlibrary Loan Unit if they
need a specific article, etc.

We indicate missing issues as part of our online holdings records.

Janie Branham
Serials Librarina
Sims Memorial Library
Southeastern Louisiana University
SLU 896
Hammond, LA 70402
Phone:  504 549-2186
Email:  jbranham@selu.edu

----------(3)

Date:         Sat, 1 Mar 1997 12:27:58 -0500
From: *Elinore Krell 333-4881 <ekrell@EPFL2.EPFLBALTO.ORG>

Valarie,

We use insert sheets in place of the missing issues. For example, the
insert sheet would refer users to microfilm if we carry micro in that
title; if the title isn't available in our library in any format, we offer
interlibrary loan as an alternative on the insert sheet.

Elinore Krell
Periodicals
Enoch Pratt Free Library, Baltimore

----------(4)

Date:         Mon, 3 Mar 1997 13:20:00 +0800
From: Eugenie Ng <eugenien@LN.EDU.HK>

Dear Valarie,

I have the same question, could you please post the responses to the question?

Thank you

Regards

Eugenie

Eugenie Ng Yuk-Chun
Assistant Librarian II
Technical Services (Serials)
Lingnan College Library    Fax:    (852)2838-6231
Tuen Mun, Hong Kong        Tel:    (852)2616-8562

Date:         Mon, 3 Mar 1997 07:32:05 -0600
From: Vickey Baumli <VBAUMLI@ACAD.NWMISSOURI.EDU>

Hi, we here at Northwest Missouri State Univ. type up a sheet of paper
with a note of the missing issue and insert it where the missing issue
would be. I don't note it as being incomplete anywhere because with
vandalism the way it is I doubt we have a complete volume of anything
these days.