Basic Binding Guidelines Needed (Andrew Leonhart) Ann Ercelawn 04 Mar 1997 22:16 UTC

Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 15:48:07 -0600
From: Andrew Leonhart <aleonhar@MANC.EDU>
Subject: binding guidelines

Before I begin, pardon my naivete.  I am new here and hope that this is the
proper forum to ask basic questions.  The kind of basic questions they
never discussed in library school.  The kind of basic questions that are
always answered, "Because we've always done it that way."

One of my duties is binding our periodicals.

1)      Should I bother binding "PC World", "Internet World", etc.  These tech
periodicals seem to become obsolete after a year or two.  (We also get PC
World on microfilm.)
2)      I have decided not to bind "Publisher's Weekly" since only the
librarians even look at it.  agree/disagree?
3)      I have decided to stop binding "Nursing Times" since it takes up so much
shelf space and we get it in microfilm.  agree/disagree?
4)      Should I bother binding "Wallaces Farmer"?  It is not indexed in any
source that I know of.  I presume that if its not indexed, its probably not
used.

That's all for now.  Hopefully this will provoke some discussion and
provide some useful suggestions.

Andrew