Re: Newsweek & end-of-year combined issues (2 messages) Birdie MacLennan 21 Mar 1997 00:13 UTC

2 messages, 69 lines:

(1)------------------------
Date:         Thu, 20 Mar 1997 13:16:08 -0400
From:         Tim Lawrence <lawrencet@NKU.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Newsweek & end-of-year combined issues

Mike Beier wrote:
>I would have to disagree that it is annoying only to us (serials
>dept).  Patrons looking for bound volumes also have to deal with not
>finding the issue they want, because the last issue of volume 20 is
>bound with volume 21, or visa versa.  And it is also annoying to the
>bindery process.  And even if the the information is printed on the
>spine, it then also becomes an annoyance to the labelling process who
>has to think of creative ways to indicate on both labels that an
>extra issue of each volume is included, or missing, from that
>binding.  Problematic all the way around.  The larger the
>institution, the more people and areas it annoys,  especially
>the patrons.

A good point about the binding. We don't bind weeklies, so it didn't occur
to me, but it should have. Still, I doubt Newsweek, Time etc will care. I
wonder why they did it in the first place (and a lot of them did this year).

Tim Lawrence                            Northern Kentucky University
Serials Assistant                       Steely Library Serials/Periodicals
lawrencet@nku.edu

(2)------------------------
Date:         Thu, 20 Mar 1997 13:12:03 -0600
From:         Jeanette Skwor <SKWORJ@GBMS01.UWGB.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Newsweek (v. 129 #1 ???)

***Some good points here.  Does anyone know what it serves for the
publisher?  Why they do it?

Jeanette L. Skwor                              ((())
Cofrin Library, Serials Dept.               ((((((()))
University of Wisconsin-Green Bay          (( -  ~ - ))
5420 Nicolet Drive                        ((  o    o  ))
Green Bay, WI  54311-7001                ((((    |   ))))
(414) 465-2670                            (((   -=-  )))
skworj@uwgb.edu                                \   /
                                               /   \

             "Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers."
                                        --Tennyson