Definition of "scholarly journal" (5 messages) Birdie MacLennan 21 Mar 1997 16:57 UTC

5 messages, 139 lines:

(1)---------------------------
Date:         Thu, 20 Mar 1997 20:32:12 EST
From:         Kate McCain <MCCAINKW@DUVM.OCS.DREXEL.EDU>
Subject:      Definition of "scholarly journal" needed

In my mind, scholarly journals are 1) those with academically-oriented
content--research primarily though not exclusively and 2) peer-reviewed.
Teaching qualifications per se do not obtain -- I know a number of excellent
researchers who should never be unleashed in the classroom (8-) and I have
no idea what "qualified to teach" means.  You might look at Marcia Tuttle's
new text for a definition -- but it still won't be inclusive if one
includes annuals (e.g. Annual Review of Biochemistry) as a scholarly
journal as ISI does even though they are not quarterly or more frequent.

In tenure consideration, scholarly is generally equated to peer
reviewed (and with the change in reviewing and submission requirements for
PNAS this probably holds true more univerally than before).

Scholarly also has the aura of "scholarly apparatus" which generally means
putting the research/discussion in the context of previous work in the
field which means footnotes or endnotes.  A journal with lots of ads and
no references in the articles can definitely be suspected of being
non-scholarly (though ad # alone are not a sign -- vide Science & Nature).

I doubt that you will find a reference that is acceptable to all.

Kate McCain
mccainkw@duvm.ocs.drexel.edu

(2)---------------------------
Date:         Thu, 20 Mar 1997 18:14:54 -0600
From:         Michael A Somers <msomers@KSU.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Definition of "scholarly journal" needed

Hey, Steve--

     Interesting question.  I noticed a number of gross assumptions
about the faculty supplied definition.  Are researchers (and not
teachers) qualified/capable of producing a scholarly journal?
Apparently not.  Are researchers, more to the point, capable of
teaching?  Perhaps not.  Are people who have journalism/publishing
backgrounds capable of producing scholarly journals in fields other
than journalism/publishing?  Apparently not.  What about the contents
of the scholarly journals?  Do the articles have to have a certain
level of credible research?  Do the articles need to cite other
research?  Do the articles need to be the result of the authors'
research only?  Are the articles speculative?  Can they be
speculative?  Is a scholarly journal only one that charges outrageous
prices to academic (and other) institutions and quite a bit less to
individuals?  Apparently from your faculty member's definition, there
does not need to be any peer review of the articles themselves.  That
quality of contents, the insight and ideas fostered and promoted in the
articles themselves, does not have any influence whatsover on the
definition of "scholarly" journal.  Bah, to the bad definition offered
by your faculty.

Michael A. Somers
Chair, Technical Services Department
Kansas State University Libraries
Kansas State University
Manhattan, Kansas 66506
913-532-7444
913-532-7644 (fax)
msomers@ksu.edu

(3)-------------------------
Date:         Thu, 20 Mar 1997 20:05:00 -0600
From:         Dena Lahue <dlahue@FAULKNER.EDU>

This is what I usually tell students when they come to one of my B-I
sessions: "If it smells good and has coupons in it, it's not scholarly".
Seriously, though, a scholarly journal is one that contains articles which
have been researched by individuals in a particular field. These individuals
have the credentials to show their 'authority' in their work.  Articles are
footnoted and often contain original research.

I hope this helps.

Dena Lahue
Public Services Librarian
Gus Nichols Library
Faulkner University
Montgomery, AL
<dlahue@FAULKNER.EDU>

(4)--------------------------
Date:         Fri, 21 Mar 1997 10:15:46 -0500
From:         Susan Sturgeon <SSTURGEON@MECN.MASS.EDU>

The definition we tend to use, although
clearly academic, is that that the articles have to be juried
and not staff written.

[From:   Susan Sturgeon <SSTURGEON@MECN.MASS.EDU>]

(5)-------------------------
Date:         Fri, 21 Mar 1997 11:36:07 -0500
From:         Deborah Harrell <dharrell@WESTGA.EDU>

Although I don't deal with circulation, that group needs to know the
definition also.  We are one of the "few" libraries that circulation
periodicals (both bound and unbound).  When a patron loses a periodical,
s/he is required to pay replacement costs.  If it is a scientific
journal, replacement costs are much higher than recreational reading
titles.  Rather than put a specific price on our computer record, we
handle this on a title by title basis.  It would be easier on circulation
staff if they had a guideline for "item type."

Debbie Harrell
Ingram Library, State University of West Georgia
phone: 770-836-6498
fax: 770-836-6626
 <dharrell@WESTGA.EDU>