Re: Basic Binding Guidelines Needed (Judy Cerqua) Ann Ercelawn 05 Mar 1997 18:19 UTC

Date: Wed, 05 Mar 1997 11:12:27 -0500
From: jcerqua@slonet.ohio.gov (Judy Cerqua)
Subject: Re: Basic Binding Guidelines Needed (Andrew Leonhart)

Andrew:

At the State Library of Ohio, we do not bind any materials received in
microform.  The microform is considered our permanent record.  We normally
keep no more than 5 years of back issues for materials received in microform.
This saves on shelf space.

As for high tech journals, PC WORLD, etc.  I would look at the usage they are
getting.  If they are not on microform, will they hold up for 5 years of
standard use unbound?  If not, then bind.

I would not bind unindexed titles, unless the past practice has been to bind
everything.  If you do not bind, keeping stacks straight becomes more of a
chore.  You'll have to decide whether to keep this one for more than a couple
of years.  You might want to keep track of the usage for titles like this one,
which may have low usage.  This will also give you a reason for dropping the
subscription, if usage is low enough.

Hope this helps.

Judith Cerqua
Head, Acquisitions/Processing