Re: MLS vs non-MLS staff (Marie Respass) Ann Ercelawn 07 Mar 1997 17:52 UTC

Date: Fri, 07 Mar 1997 10:26:00 -0500 (EST)
From: MS_RESPASS <mrespass@GEORGIAN.EDU>
Subject: Re: MLS vs non-MLS staff (Deborah Harrell)

          We have 7 librarians on staff with an MLS.  Four of us have
          second masters and librarians have faculty status.  In
          addition we have 3 technicians, one in technical services,
          one in reference and Inter-library Loan and the third in
          access (circulation).  Technicians are required to have a
          bachelors degree and the reference technician does some
          reference coverage, primarily when the librarians have
          meetings.  We have 7 full time library assistants and 5 part
          time.  Three of the part timers are in access, one in ILL
          and one in technical services.  We only require a high
          school diploma for the library assistants.  However, I
          believe four or five have bachelors degrees and at least
          three have some college credits.  Technicians are paid more
          than the library assistants, but the differential is not as
          significant as we would like.  They do, however, build
          vacation time much quicker than the library assistants.  We
          have 32 student assistants who work 7 hours/week.  We do not
          use student assistants at the circulation desk.  However,
          they do shelve and read the shelves and they also assist in
          every department in the library.  There are no incentives
          for the support staff to further their educations except
          that the college does allow staff to take courses tuition
          free.  Several staff do this for their own personal
          satisfaction.  We do some staff development through
          workshops.

          Marie Respass
          Georgian Court College Library
          Lakewood, NJ