ISSNs (Elena Romaniuk) Ann Ercelawn 12 Mar 1997 22:47 UTC

Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 11:01:58 -0800
From: Elena Romaniuk <eromaniu@UVIC.CA>
Subject: ISSNs

Dear all,

until now, we have only been coding the correct ISSN in the 022 |a field,
but we have recently made a decision to code the incorrect or invalid ISSNs
as well in 022 |y and 022 |z respectively.

I have a couple of questions for my colleagues:

If an issue of a journal contains several ISSNs, one of which is the
correct one for the title in hand, and the others represent valid ISSNs for
sister publications but are not correct for the title in hand, should those
others be coded as incorrect or invalid in the record for the title in hand?

Under what circumstances does an ISSN become invalid?

Elena

Elena Romaniuk, Head, Serials and Acquisitions Services
University of Victoria, McPherson Library               Tel. (250) 721-8261
P.O.Box 1800                                            Fax  (250) 721-8240
Victoria, B.C.                                          eromaniu@uvic.ca
Canada V8W 3H5