Faxon's Response to Serialst Inquiry re. Net Publisher Policy (Susan Hillson) Ann Ercelawn 13 Mar 1997 14:21 UTC

Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 17:04:51 -0400
From: Susan Hillson <HILLSONS@FAXON.COM>
Subject: Faxon's Response to Serialst Inquiry regarding Net Publisher Policy

Faxon's Response regarding the Net Publisher Policy Program

Marie Murphy of Halifax Regional Library, in Halifax, Nova Scotia, queried
Serialst readers regarding a $7/CDN fee assessed to certain titles on her
invoice.  Faxon Canada has responded directly to Ms. Murphy.

In the Fall of 1996, the Faxon Company instituted a $5./US ($7./Canadian)
charge per title for every title in our database for which there is no
publisher discount.  Faxon notified all clients that this policy would take
effect for 1997 subscriptions.

Subscription agents rely on publisher discounts to offset normal processing
costs.  As discounts continue to erode, subscription agents are faced with the
choice of either raising service charges, or replacing the lost revenue by
instituting a per title fee to those titles in which there is no discount.
Faxon chose the latter policy.  As a result, Faxon's position has encouraged
several publishers to review their no discount policy and we have already begun
to see positive results of these negotiations.

We ask that Faxon US clients direct their questions regarding this policy to
their Faxon Field Service Representative or call Faxon directly at
1-800-766-0039 Ext 503.  Faxon Canada clients should call their Market
Coordinator or Faxon Canada directly at 1-800-263-2966.

Roy Reinalda
Executive Vice President, Sales and Marketing
The Faxon Company

John Ashby
Executive Vice President and General Manager
Faxon Canada