Re: Faxon Pricing (Trisha Davis) Ann Ercelawn 14 Mar 1997 14:33 UTC

Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 08:55:12 -0500
From: Trisha Davis <davis.115@OSU.EDU>
Subject: Re: Faxon Pricing (2 messages)

Stephen -

I, too, investigated the Faxon $5 surcharge and came up with similar
results. My question is: if the other vendors are not making any money on
these titles, why would they provide them at no profit?

You know the fee has to be there, so I have to assume it's hidden in the
service charge.  Let's face it, they all have to cover expenses, and the
service provided for these difficult titles is quite costly to them ... the
$5 barely begins to cover it.  That's cheaper than an extra 1/2% on many of
my titles.  I wish I had the time and resources to do a title by title
analysis of a set list.  I'll bet we'd get some major variances in service
charge on these titles.

Trisha Davis
Head, Continuation Acquisition Divsion
The Ohio State University Libraries
1858 Neil Avenue Mall 040N
Columbus OH, 43210
(614) 292-6314

>Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 12:14:31 -0400
>From: Stephen Clark <sdclar@MAIL.SWEM.WM.EDU>
>Subject: Re: Faxon Pricing (Jeanette Skwor)
>
>        I responded to Marie yesterday afternoon about this, but was
>prompted to respond to the list by Jeanette's message.  We at the College
>of William and Mary received the announcement last fall about the surcharge
>(it is $ 5.00 US and $ 7.00 Canadian) by word of mouth and via a call from
>our Faxon rep. before getting anything in writing about it.  Due to the
>fact that we have a contract with Faxon which forbids this type of thing,
>we are able to get out of it.  HOWEVER, the way the system works is that
>Faxon has to bill us and then credit us for it.  Yes, this surcharge is
>happening.  Just look at your invoices, some of which have only the $ 5.00
>charge, some of which have it included in the supplemental charge.
>        I was also able to obtain a list of titles affected by this
>surcharge, with a total of what the surcharge will cost me.  Even though we
>are getting credited the $ 5.00 it is costing both Faxon and the College
>money in that they have to issue us a credit and we have to process it.
>        There was also comment from Faxon representatives indicating that
>all vendors will eventually be going this way.  After talking to other
>vendor reps., I have found that to be to the contrary, and I actually have
>in writing from one vendor that this will not be the case.
>
>Stephen Clark
Trisha L. Davis
Head, Continuation Acquisition Division
The Ohio State University Libraries