Re: Duplicate runs of paper and microforms Melissa M. Nasea 02 Apr 1997 20:59 UTC

Molly Brennan <brennan@RUNET.EDU> wrote:

> I have been appointed chair of a committee to look at duplicate runs of
> paper and microforms in our periodical collection and would like to find out
> how other libraries have addressed this problem.  Because of past collection
> development decisions we have approximately 250 titles with both paper and
> microform current subscriptions.  In these instances we maintain BOTH
> subscriptions, we do not discard the paper when the micro arrives.  My
> questions are:
>
> 1) Does your library maintain (and retain!) duplicate subscriptions?  If so
> what is the rationale?

We retain the titles for 10 years (15 for a few).  Except for the
most heavily used, we do in-house binding only.  Our clients prefer
hard copy titles.  They are generally happy to use MF if the hard
copy is not on the shelf.  It is cheaper and easier to get a MF
cabinet than new shelf space.

> 2) If you have recently made a decision to cancel some titles did you cancel
> the print or the microform?

If we cancel the print, we will cancel the MF as well.

> 3) Obviously with the time lag involved with the receipt of microform most
> libraries would not be able to cancel the print subscription in favor of the
> microform.  Was there some resistance in the library because in essence you
> are purchasing a title only to discard shortly after?
>
> 4) With the advent of full text electronic serials have some libraries
> canceled their corresponding  print subscriptions deciding the students can
> access the current title online until the microform arrives in the library?
>

> Any other helpful hints, tips etc would be greatly appreciated.  Be respond
> to me directly and not to the list.  If other people express interest I will
> summarize the responses for the list.

Please summarize.

Melissa Nasea
Serials Librarian
Health Sciences Library, East Carolina University
Greenville, NC 27858-4354
mailto: MELNAS@HSL.HSL.ECU.EDU
(919)816-2235; FAX (919)816-2224