Re: Fine Homebuilding or Taunton's Fine Homebuilding? Beth Guay 28 Apr 1997 15:40 UTC

On Fri, 25 Apr 1997 10:59:43 EST Teresa Grimm
<Tgrimm@WAUKESHA.TEC.WI.US> wrote:

> Our library recently received a donation of Fine Homebuilding from
> 1985-present which our director would like me to add to the collection.
> On OCLC I find a record for Fine Homebuilding and another for Taunton's
> Fine Homebuilding.  Both have the same ISSN.  Ebsco, on its price list,
> gives the title as Fine Homebuilding.  Katz lists the title as Fine
> Homebuilding.  Would some nice cataloger out there please help me.
> According to AACR2 rules it seems like it would be a title change.  What
> am I missing?  Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Teresa--you've entered one of cataloging's perplexing dimensions:
having to decide whether to ignore AACR2 and locally edit your bib
record, giving a 246 on the record for Fine homebuilding for the latter
title, or, cataloging the two titles as changed. Of course, if
the records were both CONSER records, I'd say, go with the flow.
And, what's best for your patrons? This is just my opinion--Beth Guay

Beth Guay
Serials Cataloger
McKeldin Library
University of Maryland at College Park