Russian History (2 messages) Birdie MacLennan 03 Apr 1997 21:13 UTC

2 messages, 103 lines:

(1)------------------------
Date:         Thu, 3 Apr 1997 13:00:30 -0500
From:         Victoria Stanton <vstanton@UNF.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Russian History

We also received the paper clipped illustrations.  They were in three
separate packets, which probably go with three different articles.
However, there are no page numbers on the illustrations.  I sent a fax to
Charles Schlacks when we received the issue, but I have not received a
response.  Mr. Schlacks has a history of issuing late publications, and
of moving to different universities, so I do not expect a speedy reply.

If we are lucky, the packets are in order, and we will be able to make a
best guess about where each illustration belongs.  I plan to wait for a
letter from Mr. Schlacks, hoping for further information.

If you need to tip these in yourself, I would use a wheat paste glue,
placing a thin line of glue along the top edge of each illustration, then
interleaving with waxed paper and placing the issue in a book press or
under a weight.

Vicki Stanton                                          (904) 646-2550 voice
University of North Florida Library                    (904) 646-2719 fax
P.O. Box 16761                                         vstanton@unf.edu
Jacksonville, Fl 32245

(2)-------------------------
Date:         Thu, 3 Apr 1997 13:10:13 -0500
From:         JOYCE NELSON <JOYCEN@TIGER.HSC.EDU>

I tried to post a message about "Russian History" to the list about two
days ago, but my message kept coming back as returned mail, host unknown.
I will attach my original message now to Rebecca's and hope it goes
through.  The pictures that need to be attached are not the only problem
with that mailing.

Greetings Y'all!

This is my first message to the list.  I don't think it will fall in the
"dumb questions" category; at least I hope not..

We received today 3 issues of "Russian History.Histoire Russe."  Volumes
22:3,4 (the Fall and Winter, 1995 issues) were "normal" except for a few
blank and missing pages.

The third item was identified as Vol. 23:1-4 (Spring-Summer-Fall-Winter
1996). It was a Festscrift or Commemorative issue for Reginald E. Zelnik.
Noticing that something bulky appeared to be causing a gap in the pages, I
opened to the gap.  Actually there are three such gaps.  Each contained a
bundle of line drawings and photos.  Two bundles were fastened with paper
clips and the third was bundled with rubber bands. There are numerous blank
pages with captions which could relate to a number of the photos/drawings.
I suppose we could enjoy playing sticker book and attaching photos and
drawings ourselves, but I thought I would first submit a query as to:
        1-whether ours are the only "unique" copies or has this title been
          sent out in the same fashion to everybody?
        2-what actions are others who may have similar versions of these issues
          taking?

We've had a good laugh about these issues, but now it's time to act on
them.  There was such a delay in receiving these items.  Could the
publisher, Charles Schlacks, Jr., have sent these out knowing the flaws but
determined to meet a deadline?  Will returning them result in a better copy
being sent (if everyone has received copies of similar quality perhaps
funds ran out)?

        I'm interested in what has happened here and what course to take.
Thanks for any insights and tips that will help make these issues useful to
our patrons!

Joyce Nelson
Eggleston Library  Hampden-Sydney College
HS Box 7
Hampden-Sydney, VA 23943
804-223-6278   fax 6351
e-mail: joycen@tiger.hsc.edu