Periodical Price Inflation Lionel Robson 15 Apr 1997 16:41 UTC

Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 15:35:46 +0000
Tue, 15 Apr 1997 15:36:31 +1000 (EST)
Comments: Authenticated sender is <s7201074@pop3.unsw.edu.au>
From: "Lionel Robson" <Lionel.Robson@sam.comms.unsw.EDU.AU>

=== It is fine and dandy trying to justify serial costs.  But the
simple fact is that the readership level or utilisation rate of
serial articles is extraordinarily low.

If academics want to pay to have material published that says
something about their understanding of economics.  Who would want to
pay to publish material that the punters never read?  It would be
like buying tickets to the movies but never going to see the action.

There is no reason why libraries should continue to pay the enormous book
keeping cost for  science and technology.  Especially when they all
tend to by the same titles.  These milch cow's udders are drying up.
To continue the image, chew that one over.

Lionel Robson
Manager, Collection Services
University of New South Wales
Sydney  NSW  Australia  2052