Re: Authority Records for Uniform Title Headings (Anne Miller) Ann Ercelawn 05 May 1997 15:09 UTC

Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 10:16:59 -0400
From: Anne Miller <amiller@BU.EDU>
Subject: Re: Authority Records for Uniform Title Headings (Ann Jones)

  I am also the only serials cataloger at my institution. I do not use
authority records when creating uniform titles for serials in part
because I do not ever recall having encountered such a thing while
cataloging something. I certainly do not go looking for them for records
where either LC or the member institution doing the cataloging has
created a 130 in the record I am using. Since the 130 will trace in our
catalog, I can only envision a very limited use to adding such a record, and
that would be mostly for myself.  I have enough to do staying on top of
the  work flow.
Serials cataloging should have different priorities, to my mind, than
monograph cataloging. One of them is the time sensitive nature of the
materials.  While I would love to spend this kind of time agonizing over
my reords, realistically I have to make a decision and get the thing out,
or it won't be of any value to anyone.
  -Anne Miller
  -Serials Cataloger
  -Boston University