Cataloging Problem --designation/frequency (Patricia Thompson) Ann Ercelawn 05 May 1997 23:30 UTC

Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 14:14:12 -0600
From: Patricia Thompson <pthompso@SERAPH1.SEWANEE.EDU>
Subject: Designation/ frequency problem

I am creating a serial record for the title Ruach, the newsletter of the
Episcopal Women's Caucus.  I have a fairly complete run, including the
first issue.  I need some advice on what combination of 310, 321, 362 and
515 to use to describe it.  This is the publication history and the way the
designations appear on the issues:

Vol. 1, issue 1 (May 1974)
Vol. 1, issue 2 (Aug-Sept. 1974)
Nov. 1974
Dec. 1974
Jan-Feb. 1975   and bimonthly like this until Sept.-Oct. 1975

1976 and 1977 each had six issues, designated no.1-6.  The title on these
is Ruach Series.  They are more like pamphlets rather than a newsletter
format.

Summer 1978   (editor announced a new quarterly format at this time)

Vol. 1, no. 1 (Fall 1979)
Vol. 1, no. 2 (Spring 1980)
Continued this pattern, although some years only had no.1-3) until
Vol.5:1 (Fall 1983)   (numeration format changed, still quarterly)

Pattern continues like that to the present.

This is what I've come up with as a start.
110 2     Episcopal Women's Caucus.
245 00  Ruach : $b the newsletter of...
246 1     $i Issues for 1976-1977 called : $a Ruach series
310        Quarterly, $b Summer 1978-
321        Bimonthly $b 1975-1977
362 0     Vol. 1, issue 1 (May 1974)-
515        Frequency and numbering vary for 1974 issues.
515        Issues for 1975 have no volume numbering.
515        Issues for 1976-77 called no.1-6.
515        Fall 1979 issue called vol. 1, no. 1.

Where do I put the current designation?  Add to existing 362 after semicolon?
If so, what about the various designations in between the first issue and
the current numbering?  Do I have to explain the change in "Vol. 1, no. 1"
to "Vol. 5:1" ?  Where does this go?

Any advice would be welcomed.  I'll be on vacation May 7-14 but I'll check
for answers when I get back.  Thanks in advance.
Pat

Patricia R. Thompson
Technical Services Librarian-
Head of Cataloging