Warning to Geoscience Libraries (Diane Lewis) Ann Ercelawn 06 May 1997 20:40 UTC

Date: Tue, 06 May 1997 15:50:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: Diane Lewis <DILEWIS@IGSRGLIB01.ER.USGS.GOV>
Subject: Warning to geoscience libraries

This is a warning to other earth science libraries.  Certain items in
the U.S.G.S. Library collection in Reston, Virginia have turned up
missing and we wish to alert other libraries with similar pieces to
the problem.

The bulk of the missing items are fossil books from the mid-1800s and
the turn of the century.  One piece, in particular, had just been
returned to the collection in a newly-constructed preservation box
when it disappeared:  Oliver P. Hay's "Fossil Turtles of North
America," published in 1901.

Be especially alert to portions of the collections which have been
misshelved and pieces which have been shoved willy-nilly into
unrelated sections.  We advise library staff to check and record
identification cards if items are being brought out from closed
stack areas for someone's use.  Such items should be used within
sight of library staff at all times.

Security Team
U.S. Geological Survey Library
National Center--MS950