Web-only Index to SCIENCE (Natalie Gorvine) Ann Ercelawn 13 May 1997 18:13 UTC

Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 12:51:35 -0500
From: Natalie Gorvine <GORVINE@EMAIL.CHOP.EDU>
Subject: Index to SCIENCE (another query)

Here is another challenge.  When I removed vol. 275 (Jan-Mar 1997) of
SCIENCE from our current shelves to make more space & to put it aside
for future binding, I discovered that it has no index, but a publisher's note
indicates that the index will now appear exclusively on the Internet.

So, although I thought the process of obtaining a cumulative print index
might be cumbersome, I assumed that I had little choice.  However, so far
what I have been able to access via the Internet is not even suitable for
downloading & printing out, as each issue is indexed separately, & there
are caveats about some misspellings of authors' names, etc.  Eek!  I
never expected that the "new technology" & the excitement of e-journals
would require that libraries bind print volumes of major publications
without indices & then have to direct their patrons to the Web if they
need an index!  Is there no middle ground?  Before I protest to the AAAS,
I thought I should at least ask:  What do staff people in other libraries
think?

Has anyone else encountered this situation yet, with this title or another?
If so, what are you doing about it?  You can respond to me directly
(gorvine@email.chop.edu) & I can summarize & post to the list later if
warranted.  Looking forward to hearing from some of you. - Natalie

Natalie L. Gorvine, The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Medical Library