numbering = irregular JHM.Houtkamp@UBVU.VU.NL 22 May 1997 09:07 UTC

**I posted this question on Feb 14, without getting a response. Hence this
second try**

The original question was about what to put on the spine of the bound vol.

Subject: Spine Labeling of Bound Serial Volumes

Has anyone come across the following situation:
A serial which originally had an incorrect volume and issue
number assigned to it years ago has now been corrected by
its editor midstream.  Unfortunately, the editor did not begin
the correction with issue 1.  This now gives us a volume and
issue number earlier than the one we started with.  For ex.,
we began the year with vol. 79 and are ending the year with
vol. 77.  We are now struggling with binding issues(e.g.
spine labeling).
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to best handle
this?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for
any input.<<<<<<

What I am interested in, however, is: what do you do with this
information in the bibliographic description, particularly the field for
numbering.
Do you regard this "restart" as a break, resulting in: Vol. 1 (..)-vol. 49
(1994) ; vol. 48 (1995)-..., with a note explaining this?
Or is it disregarded, or ...?

And if anyone could remember an example by title, I would be grateful (we're
collecting number field-oddities).

Thanks.

Anneke Houtkamp
UBVU