Re: DRA Serials Module Questions (2 messages) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 06 Jun 1997 20:11 UTC

2 messages:

1)____

Date: Fri, 06 Jun 1997 14:17:20 -0500
From: Sherry Keen <keen@BINAH.CC.BRANDEIS.EDU>
Subject: Re: DRA Serials Module Questions (Kira Haimovsky)

At 12:39 PM 6/6/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Date: Fri, 06 Jun 1997 11:06:36 -0400
>From: UL_HAIMOVSKY@RHODA.FORDHAM.EDU
>Subject: DRA serials module
>
>Hello,
>My question is to the users of DRA integrated system and its serials module.
>We still have our serials (annuals, irregulars, etc) checked-in manually in
>Kardex, and we are planning now to convert these records to DRA. Many of
>these serials are reference type material, when latest vol/ed kept in Reference
>Dept. and earlier vols/eds in stacks. What location code do you assign in
>these cases? 010101 for stacks, or 010103 for reference, or move from one to
>another, or use notes with one or another?
>In case of simple periodicals, when the latest issues are kept in Periodicals
>reading Room and bound volumes go to the stacks, do you use 010106 in any
>combination with other codes?
>do you use free text summary holdings for bound vols.?
>I would appreciate if you share with me your experience in dealing with these
>procedures.
>Thanks.
>
>Kira Haimovsky
>Head of Serials
>Fordham University Libraries
>ul_haimovsky@rhoda.fordham.edu

Your question is complex...  Basically I feel that location should
correspond to where the patron can find the material.  When you have
different locations for current items and another for older volumes it gets
very confusing for the patrons.  One thing you should consider is what kind
of summary holdings you are going to have...   We here at Brandeis have
actually done a combination with mixed results...  Where we had a note in
the BIB RECORD that identifies "the latest volume in REFERENCE" for example
we used the 010101 location code in serials....  We thought this worked
well...  However, recently I ran a report on titles we have on subscription
via location code specifically to move materials from a very crowded
REFERENCE location  and of course many of the titles did not show up...  So
as with everything else you need to be a fortune teller and predict all
future usage of the information...

Sherry Keen
Head, Acquisitions/Serials
Brandeis University Library
Waltham, MA  02254
keen@brandeis.edu
phone: 617-736-4642
fax: 617-736-4724

2)_____

Date: Fri, 06 Jun 1997 14:35:36 -0900
From: Eva Friesen <efriesen@ACS.RYERSON.CA>

We keep all our periodicals, back issues and current issues on the same
floor, so the location is the same for both. I do not know how we might
have handled it if we had them in separate locations, perhaps with a
user note that said "current issues in..."

For reference titles, the serials copy record is supressed, and used for
check-in only. We use the monographic item record, barcode them and can
easily assign different locations for each year, for example, our latest
may be on reference, the previous five years in the stacks but with a
non-circ status, and earlier ones also in the stacks but with a standard
two week loan period. Our home page is www.library.ryerson.ca if you
would like to have a look at how they display in the web catalogue. You
might look at the Financial Post Market Survey.

Eva Friesen
Head, Technical Services
Ryerson Polytechnic University
Toronto