Migration of serials data (Colleen Cleary) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 11 Jun 1997 13:43 UTC

Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 12:17:24 +1000
From: "Colleen Cleary, QUT Library Serials Manager" <c.cleary@QUT.EDU.AU>
Subject: Migration of serials data

Migration of serials data from library system to library system
Please reply to me directly at the address below.

I would be interested to hear from anyone with experience in migrating
automated serials (orders, check-in function) from one library system to
another, particularly people who have set up prediction data from scratch on
their new library system.  I am particularly interested to hear from anybody
who was not able to continue check-in and invoicing operations on their
existing system as they created records on the new system.

Specifically,
1. How many "subscriptions" (including donations, standing orders, etc.) do
you have?
2. What type of data did you need to create manually (eg. order,
control/check-in records)
3. How did you manage the process of setting up the new order and
control/check-in records while maintaining check-in and invoicing throughput
4. Did you create control records from the item in hand or from the
frequency and receipt patterns from your previous system
5. Did you employ additional staff, for what period, at what cost, and what
work was performed by them?
6. How long did the transition to the new system take?
7. What library system do you have?
8. Any other lessons you learnt from the process.

Thankyou

Colleen Cleary
Serials Manager
Queensland University of Technology Library
Kelvin Grove Campus
Victoria Park Road
Kelvin Grove
Qld 4059 Australia