Re: Student Employment Testing (3 messages) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 11 Jun 1997 14:02 UTC

Subscribers responding to SERIALST messages are gently reminded to
please be alert in directing your replies to the intended recipient (either
to the list (serialst@list.uvm.edu) or to the person requesting information).
Please make sure that your replies are not addressed to my personal
mailbox (ercelaa@ctrvax.vanderbilt.edu), as regrettably I
lack psychic powers and cannot determine where you intended to send your
message.
Thanks -- Ann, editor of the day

3 messages:

1)_____

Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 13:52:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: hflib016@email.csun.edu
Subject: Re: Student Employment Testing (Jeanette Skwor)

> I am thinking about making up a test for student applicants to take, to
> assess comprehension and capabilities.
>
> Does anyone else have such a test, or use one?

Jeanette,

Good question!

Different people here use different types of tests (we usually call them
tasks), depending on what kind of work the student would be doing.  For
example, potential circulation students might have our call number system
explained to them, and then be asked to demonstrate ability to arrange
items in call number order according to those instructions.  Our ILL
supervisor has students demonstrate, among other things, ability to put
very long log numbers into numerical order (it's amazing how hard this is
for some), or perhaps she'll send them to the stacks to fetch a title that
is to be loaned out, to see if they can navigate their way around in the
stacks.  When we had a card catalog, potential filers had to alphabetize
cards.  If a student is going to be doing terminal work, we have been
known to sit them down at a terminal and teach them to do a basic
inputting or editing task that they would normally be doing on the job, to
see how well they follow directions and how comfortable they are with a
keyboard.

We do try to select a task that accurately reflects the requirements
and type of work typical of the job to be filled.  It also serves to give
the student applicant an idea of what we do, so they can better
decide whether or not it's the kind of work they want.  For example, once
we sit a student down at a terminal with an editing task, then tell them
this is the major part of their job, some may decide they don't want to be
tied to a terminal for hours.  Gives them a realistic look at the
position so we all can make a better decision.

Diane Moore
Database Maintenance/Catalog Unit
Cal State Northridge

2)____

Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 16:41:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: SBROOKS@CMS.CC.WAYNE.EDU

Last year, I devised a simple test which I adminstered during the interview.
I gave them a sheet with maybe 5 questions and instuctions.
1. use the OPAC to search for a specific title of two books and two serials.
I requested a printout of what they found. (I supplied the titles)

2.Locate two specific titles from the current periodical section, two from
the bound section , and two specific books. They were asked to bring what they
located.
This test provided information about the student's abilities that were not
indicated in their resume or application. The test helped to determine
familiarity with the library, on-line searching, and our collection.
It helped me to weed out those who looked good on paper.

SKBrooks
Wayne State University
Detroit, MI

3)_____

Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 08:35:41 -0400
From: jmclaughlin@cmcc.ca (Jane McLaughlin)
Subject: Student testing

Hi Jeanette
When I hired and supervised student workers at a public library I would have
a truck of books to be sorted into order.  We would interview the candidate
and then have them sort the truck.  There was a shelf of fiction and a shelf
of non-fiction.  Some of the items were tricky and if mistakes were made
they were forgiven if the applicant asked appropriate questions.  They were
always given the opportunity to ask any questions after the sorting test.
These were junior highschool students that were being tested.

Jane

Jane McLaughlin
CC Clemmer Health Sciences Library
Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College